Sunday, October 08, 2006

The weekend so far...

It's been a decent weekend considering what I mentioned in the last post. Friday, I bummed around the house until about 10:45 p.m. and then met up with people at Art Bar. I didn't intend on staying out, I just figured it would be good for me to get out of the house and keep myself preoccupied so I didn't think about Jamie's death. Well, it worked. I ended up having a very late evening yet again, because a bunch of people showed up and we were enjoying ourselves. I appreciated the moral support. I think it was probably just what I needed at that point.
Casey decided to take Saturday off, so we spent the whole day hanging out together, which was nice. We slept in late, and took it easy until around 4 or so when we decided to go run a few errands and go to a movie together. We saw The Departed, the newest installment of Martin Scorsese's graphic films. Considering the way my friend died recently, I wasn't as cool with all of the guns and blood and everything, but I will give credit to Mr. Scorsese for creating a very twisted plotline. I love movies that aren't predictable, and this is one of them.. Everyone is out to get everyone else. You can't trust anyone. The acting was notable, with greats like Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon, Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Walhberg, and Martin Sheen. Although Leo lost his Bostonian accent a few times, he still held his character, an emotionally unstable State Policeman who goes undercover and realizes that he doesn't know who he can trust. It was in no way a movie that I will ever let my kids see before they are Juniors or Seniors in high school. There is tons of violence, a plethora of the F word, and more blood than you'd see in a 1980's slasher movie. But again, the plot was very interesting, so most of it seemed appropiate.
I'm disappointed when I see people bring a small child to a movie like this. It really makes you think that they either didn't know what the movie was about, or they didn't feel like spending a few bucks for a babysitter. A family of 3 showed up- mother, father, and child who was probably 5 or 6 years old. They ended up sitting next to me, and because they showed up about 15 minutes late, the man asked me if he'd missed anything. I hate talking during movies, so I didn't really tell him anything, just that they were introducing the characters and showing a little of their past. I'm not about do try to explain it because then I miss more of the movie as well. I have a few pet peeves about going to movies. First, DON'T TALK! Especially on your cell phone!! People did not pay that amount of money to listen to your conversation. I get annoyed when people are eating popcorn loudly enough that it's distracting. Then there's always someone who drops something on the floor and can't find it because it's so dark, and they either turn their cell phone on to use the light to find whatever they dropped, or they ask other people next to them to help them find it. People just seem not to care about showing respect for the people around them at things like this. I went to a movie once where someone behind me didn't understand English, so I basically got to hear the entire movie translated into Spanish. I think I occasionally turn into MicroBitch at the movie theater. I almost told a kid off once because he was with all of his friends, talking the whole time, playing with his cell phone, and apparently calling people and actually having a conversation with them during the movie. He wasn't old enough to have a cell phone. Grrrrr...
Enough of my complaints... I'll continue with the update. So after the movie, we went over to Attilio's apartment for a few hours to hang out. It was nice to chat with him. He's hilarious! He can say anything with his Italian accent and make it sound cool. He's a great storyteller. We always have fun and laugh when he's around. Very cool guy.
So not much else is going on right now. The weather is dreary and Charley is bored. We are planning on taking him to an event today called Bark to the Park. Hopefully the weather will allow it. It should be fun- he will get to socialize and get free toys and treats out of the deal. If that doesn't happen, I'm not sure what we will be doing today, besides grocery shopping at Walmart. Woo hoo... can't tell you excited that makes me. Riiiiight.
That's all for now. After a romp in the backyard, Charley is sleepy and currently laying on my lap. We'll nap, I'll do some laundry, and then we'll go get Casey and go to the park. I'll take the camera and hopefully get some pictures of the events today. For now, I'll just post another random pic.
Picture of Charley and I at the park last year, right before we took him to Kansas to stay with his 'Grandparents'. He really wanted that ball!

No comments: