Thursday, October 12, 2006

Holy Chaos Batman!

This Department is crazy today! There is a Fuel Cell meeting across the street where a bunch of bigwigs come here to see what we have going on in our fuel cell research, and sometimes contribute money to what we are doing. In exchange, we have to motivate the Grad students to make a poster and present it during a big dinner they have every year. At the beginning of this week, there were only 8 Grad students (out of about 60) who were going to present. A nasty e-mail was sent out to the Faculty to motivate their students to present so we don't look like morons. Now we have 22 people presenting tonight. Everyone and their dog has needed to print out a poster the last few days, and since the poster printer used to be housed in my office, everyone thinks I know how to use it. LOL! So, I have had people coming in the past 2 or 3 days, asking for my help. Luckily I have learned enough at this point that I can teach them. But needless to say, my lack of productivity has grown because I'm now helping everyone else. Now I sit here, staring at the paperwork piled on my desk, and I find myself yet again unmotivated. I hate days like this where I just get started doing something and I get interrupted every 5 minutes with something new. I'm glad people ask me for help because I like to help them, but I feel like I can't do as much as I want to. It's kind of nice to go to the room where the printer is now and just sit there. It's nice to get out of my office so I don't have people breathing down my neck all the time. My office used to be a conference room so I think people are just accustomed to coming in here anyway. It's now used as a lunch room for a few grad students, and a room where you go to vent about life and other things that might be going on. I feel like a pseudo-counselor. Not that I'm qualified because I happen to be going to one myself...lol... but oh well. I'm glad people feel like they can come talk to me. This normally doesn't work very well when I'm stressed, but depending on who it is, I can normally stop what I'm doing and listen to what they have going on, and it's nice to have a little break from my own reality.
In other news, the weekend is proving to be pretty busy already. Tomorrow, I'm not really sure what's going on yet exactly, besides Happy Hour with the co-workers. I'm taking it easy tomorrow night and actually not going to Art Bar- FOR ONCE- because we are going to Steve and Rebecca's wedding on Saturday and I don't want to feel and/or look like crap that day. It's one time where I get to get dressed up and I'm pretty excited about it. It's going to be a crazy night, I think... lots of drinking will be going on because Rebecca's family likes to party! Should be interesting.
Who knows what Sunday will bring. I'm sure it will be something with Charley since we'll be gone off and on the next 3 days. :( Poor guy. He's doing fine, though, and we just try to make the most out of the time we see him. I brought him to Swearingen last night again so he could run around. He ran so much that he wouldn't even chase the ball anymore.
Anyway, I should get going now. I've got a bit more to do before I leave for my appointment at 4:00 today. There is a seminar at 3:30 that I have to help set up soon. I'm so ready for the work day to be over!!!

-Ashley

Today's random picture- me at work, and my general feeling about it.

No comments: