Monday, April 24, 2006

Invasion of the Spidermites

So when I got home from work today, my roommate was totally freaking out. For a few days now, she's been saying that there are little mites in her room. I guess I didn't really believe her at first... she's got a tendency to be a bit paranoid... but I definitely do now. They were crawling all over her wall, ceiling, and even her computer screen. I guess they are attracted to light or something. But we figured out that they are coming in because the screen around the window is broken and they are so tiny they crawl right under the window. I called my Dad, the garden and pest expert, who told me to get two different powders- something called Sevin that goes outside, and diatonaceous earth for inside the house.
I made the trip to KMart, and didn't know what the hell I was doing. I asked a guy that worked there, and he said that 'diatonaceous earth sounds like a rock band'... obviously meaning he didn't know what the heck it was. Turns out, another lady in the aisle was having the same problem that I am having, and we ended up walking around KMart together. We both decided that Lowes would probably have what we needed, and have people there who were a little more knowledgable about the subject.
I met the lady over at Lowes and we walked around together. After a nice long search around the store, we found both types of powder, and found out that the people there didn't really know much about it either. We also found out that they didn't have any dusters or anything to spread the powder with, so I thought I would go back to KMart on the way back home, since I didn't even look for that earlier. I also wanted to get some hedge clippers so I can trim the bushes, which might also help with the spidermite problem. After saying goodbye to the lady, I headed back to KMart, and the darned garden shop was closed. Also at that point, it was getting dark. I came home, put on some old clothes, and threw some of the powder around the front of the house. I dusted a bit in her room, also. Hopefully it'll take care of the problem... yikes. She really freaked out and is already paranoid, but hopefully she'll sleep tonight... apparently she didn't sleep much last night because she was freaking out. Sooo... yeah. And Charley is mad at me because I didn't get to spend much time with him tonight or take him on a walk. I guess I'll take him to the park tomorrow to make up for it. :)
Guess that's about all for now... hopefully this'll clean up the situation!

-Ashley

No comments: