
I can't believe it's January 2nd and I'm back in Columbia again. The past few weeks have gone so fast... and now I'm back at work and having a hard time making my brain function correctly. It feels like it should be at least 5:00 p.m. but it's barely 1:00. So much for trying to focus... guess I'll write in the blog....
So the 17 hour drive to Topeka went pretty well- we drove through a lot of rain, but somehow managed to get all the way to T-town without stopping too much. We arrived at my parents house at about 1:30 a.m. on Friday the 22nd. We were able to sleep in that morning, and then got up and around. I did some last-minute shopping with Mom, and Casey helped his Dad out with Leslie's gift. That evening, we went out to the Hetrick's and saw the new puppy, Jag. He's a cute little fiesty guy... I'm sure he'll get settled down soon with 3 other dogs to keep him in line. I don't think I have any of the pictures on this computer, so I'll have to add them later.
Saturday evening, Ben, Sara, Kyle, Jeremy, Lindsey, and her b/f Craig all came over for dinner. Mom cooked up a storm and we all filled our bellies as much as we could with the awesome food. After dinner, some of us went out to the Classic Bean and had coffee for an hour or so. After that, all the boys bailed, so Lindsey, Sara, and I had a 'Girls Night' at Skinny's. I did something that was a little uncharacteristic of me; this incredibly rude guy was standing next to Lindsey (she wasn't paying attention to him) and he was staring at her chest by bending in half and putting his head right next to
her... all of his buddies started laughing... and when he did it a second time, I walked up to him and said, "You see something you like? That's really rude!"... he and all of his friends got really quiet, and I walked away. They made fun of me the rest of the evening- which for once didn't really phase me... one of the girls in the group walked up behind me and started comparing her height to mine, so I just turned around and smiled and 'posed' next to her as if I didn't care at all... and honestly, I really didn't. That's a first! Anyway, I enjoyed my girl time, and we had fun drinking and trying to shoo all the guys away that kept hitting on Lindsey. We got some free drinks in the process, too! :)Sunday, we went to church, then we had lunch at Sheila & Jeff's for the Shrimplin side of the family. It was nice to see them again- we got to play with the kids & the pupp, and for the first time, all 5 siblings were together with most of their families. I think there were about 30 people, which was a little chaotic... but WOW was the food good!! After that, we headed back to my parents' house, and had our Christmas Eve present opening session. I'm glad we have still kept that tradition over the years. :)
Christmas day was spent at the Hetricks, where we had breakfast with my parents, and dinner with Grandma and Grandpa Hetrick and family... it was fun to see them all again and catch up.
Tuesday we went to the Shrimplin grandparents house for lunch and looked at a memorybook she had made for Casey. There was a picture of my mom and I with my grandma at my high school graduation, which was really neat to see because it was probably the last picture I have with her. She's planning to send a copy soon, so I'll scan it and add it here sometime. Anyway, Tuesday evening, some of my mom's side of the family came over for dinner, and I enjoyed meeting my little cousin Miles... possibly the cutest, happiest 2 year old I have ever met! It was great to play with him, and to catch up with relatives.
Wednesday, we went shopping a bit, and then had family pictures that evening at JCPenney. I'm not a big fan of that place, or at least the lack of training that the photographers have there... blah!! That evening after pictures, we went out to eat at Old Chicago, and then I met up with Lindsey, Sara, and Opal at Chili's. Lindsey came over for a bit that evening, and Casey went out with Jason Woodard.
Thursday, I went to lunch with my mom
and her "Noon Goons" at Pisano's (I miss the food there!! It was SOOOOOO good!!!). It was fun to hang out with them and hear their stories. After that, Sara called me, and we went to the Classic Bean for coffee, then to her place to pick up her dog, Franklin. We took him to my parents house to play with Charley, where he proceeded to run under the fence and into the busy street in front of my house. We thought for sure he'd be a goner. LUCKILY, all of the cars stopped, and Sara was able to get him in time. She promptly took him home... but we were all still shaken by it. I'm so glad he's okay!!
That evening, we went to HuHot to eat with my parents- which was excellent by the way- then did a bit of shopping, and spent that evening at home with them. Friday, we went shopping in
Kansas City all day with the Hetricks, and then came back in time to go out with my friends to a club at the Ramada Inn called Uncle Bo's. There was a really good band there called Johnny I and the Receders... we ended up dancing and drinking most of the night away. There are pictures from that as well.
Then Saturday morning, we woke up (late) and got on the road to come back to Columbia. Somehow we decided that we were going to drive the 16 hours home to avoid the oncoming storm, and made it home around 2:00 a.m..New Year's Eve was spent at Liberty Tap Room with Melanie, Eddie, Billy, Clay, Michael, Michael L., Michael M., and half of Columbia. Again, pictures will be posted soon. That's pretty much my last week or so in a nutshell... and I think that's more than enough for now!

Happy New Year!
-Ash

No comments:
Post a Comment