

There are three books from childhood that I just thought about today that I miss. Frog and Toad Together, Frog and Toad Are Friends, and Owl at Home. Thinking about these books reminds me of being at my grandma's house.
My favorite story from the Frog & Toad book (I can't remember the specific book at the moment) is the one about will power. Frog (or maybe it was Toad) really wants to eat this jar of cookies, but the other tries to teach him a lesson about will power, so he puts the jar of cookies on top of the shelf. Toad (the one without will power, if I remember correctly) keeps going up to the shelf and eating 'just one more' cookie. This is the story of my life. I think every time I read that story, I just got hungry for cookies and didn't really learn as much about will power as I should have. LOL...
My other favorite story is from Owl at Home, "Tear-Water Tea". In order to make the tea, Owl sits in his chair and thinks of all of the sad things he can possibly think of, while his tears fall down into a pot. I remember reading the story and crying because of all of the sad things he thinks about. (Can you say 'sensitive child'? Seriously!)
Anyway, it's fun to think back on those stories from my childhood. I realize how out of touch I am now with reading- I used to love it, and I don't make time for it anymore. Maybe I'll get to enjoy it again when I have kids and they learn how to read.
I guess that's my random topic of the day. :)

-Ashley
PS: I had no idea they were by the same author. Shows how much I pay attention.

No comments:
Post a Comment